The brief was to create a library within the current lounge.
Here is the finished library, see below how it progressed.
The project, start to finish….
An old Armoire was found at a brocante, shelves added and painted a soft sage green inside and chalky cream outside.
This space was crying out for a window seat
Paneled window seat with upholstered linen cushion
A window seat will be created using paneling from an old French bed.
Shelves will be created either side of the fireplace and above the doors.
Items that might be used, found at a local brocante
These pieces came from an old Chateau door that we cut up for our study project. I think we can use them in the library.
One of the main challenges of the library project was to find, adapt or build a cupboard to house the TV and sky and DVD boxes. The space was limited so the cupboard needed to be narrow and not too wide. After searching and searching I decided to build from scratch but using the old bed I had bought some months before. It is made from old Walnut and has amazing barley twist posts and carved panels.
Armed with a rough sketch with measurements the first stage is to cut up the bed.
The bed was broken up into sections and primed with white chalky paint.
At this stage I am not sure how I am going to fit it all together but I know I want to use the barley twist poles somewhere.
It is a case of laying it out and playing around with the position of the sections.
The finished cupboard ready to fit the TV and DVD player.
It was painted in a soft grey chalky paint
The armoire was painted in shades of cream chalky paint to resemble parchment
The cream then had a coat of diluted Vandyke crystals
This will then be waxed to protect the finish